Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Thank You Mr. Brooker

KEL BROOKER was the kind of teacher you remember, the kind you carry with you through life, even though you only knew them for one short school year. He was a life changer, the kind of person that could really enhance the way you looked at and appreciated something. He helped me appreciate my own talents. He was an invoker of my hidden genius. (And the article in the paper today about him says a lot of the same things, so I'm not just making this up.)

Kel Brooker was my Grade 11 English teacher, he died on Thursday of a heart attack, he was 52 years old. He helped inspire my faith in art and myself through literature, at a time when I was in desperate need of his keen guidance. Thank you Mr. Brooker, goodbye.

(2010 update: I am now in an Education program and although it's been more than 20 years since I had the pleasure of being in Mr. Brooker's class I still think about him and hope to become the kind of teacher he was.)

No comments: