Wednesday, November 28, 2007

As Quoted in the 'Tobin

This morning I Googled my name to see if a letter I had sent to the Free Press and Sun had been published (okay, it's still a bit narcissistic, but whatever.) Anyway, I came across this reference to myself in The Manitoban by some young writer who was doing a story about car vandals (complete article here). How do I know he's young? I don't really except that only a young, or inexperienced writer quotes another writer that he admits no-one has ever heard of. If no-one has ever heard of me than my point of view means shit right? And if my point of view means shit than it's not worth quoting. (Of course I don't believe my point of view means shit, but I'm perfectly willing to accept that I am unknown.) Anyhow, I guess I was a bit flattered to be slammed in print by this guy. At least he has heard of me. Here's the quote:



Many journalists like Lindor Reynolds seem hell-bent on addressing the “root causes” of crime while opposing harsher sentences for the criminals. Writers like Ryan Kinrade (don’t worry, no one else knows who he is, either) claim that putting car thieves in jail “most certainly will not” help the problem.

Sorry, but I disagree. It is widely acknowledged by the police department that most of the auto theft in Winnipeg is done by a small number of people. According to StatCan.ca, 16 year olds steal more cars than any other age group.

No comments: