Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Oh Fickle Google

My 15 minutes of fame on the Google Image Search Engine are up. My usurped image of Santana at Woodstock no longer even places in the top 5 pages. I don't know what changed my fortunes, perhaps the link is just too dated to be relevant anymore (it is a couple of weeks old now, a lifetime it seems in this torrid age of information.) Now it's back to obscurity for this humble little blog, no more daily visits from foreign climbs, no more ill-gotten notoriety. Just you my loyal readers, just you.

It's a bit humbling to realize the power of the search engine, it's capacity to bring eyes from all over the world to a little out of the way blog like this. It's kind of like when the Madonna appears on a piece of toast in some Arkansas backwater and it somehow makes it on to CNN. Next thing you know the whole American Media Circus is on your doorstep to take pictures of your miraculous breakfast and the defective toaster that spawned the graven image. But when interest dries up you are left with a trampled lawn and a dried out piece of toast which hopefully you can get a few bucks for on e-bay.

Oh well, it's back to the drawing board I guess. Hopefully I won't be consumed with posting pictures that have provocative and/or popular search terms attached to drive traffic. Although I admit it is a bit of a jolt to have all those people watching I doubt many of them stick around to digest the real meat of the matter. In fact sometimes I wonder if you do dear readers, I haven't had a comment in many moons.

No comments: