Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The Letter

Earlier today I ranted a bit about an experience I had in a bike shop today. It promised action, and here it is in the form of an letter sent to the store's e-mail address.

Hello Scot,

I was in your store this evening looking to replace the Zip Tite bracket that had broken on my Trek bike helmet. My helmet was manufactured in 2004 (purchaced in Feb of '05) and you previously replaced another broken Zip Tite (free of charge I might add), but this time your staff informed me that I ought to replace my bike helmet every 3 years and left it at that.

Being someone who likes to keep things for as long as possible if they are still useful (not because I am cheap, so much as I am in favour of re-using, recycling and not creating more waste than I need to) I was skeptical about the idea that a three year old helmet that looks to be in good shape should automatically become a candidate for replacement. Several opinions I have read this evening seem to offer a more reasonable lifespan of 5 years per helmet (barring any damage), others say a modern helmet should be constructed well enough to last even longer. In short, there is no consensus on when an undamaged helmet should be replaced, and what amounts to a refusal of service based on a suggested date of replacement displays little in the way of class.

I can respect the fact that your people want to make a sale, and if it were a matter of the part no longer being available I would be forced to concede that a new helmet was necessary. But having looked at the new Trek helmets in your shop I noticed that the Zip Tite, despite being a newer rendition, seems clip on in the very same manner it did previously, so that does not appear to be an issue. Perhaps you no longer carry spare Zip Tites, and a broken one automatically means it is time for a new helmet (in which case I suggest you no longer carry Trek helmets, because this part breaks frequently). But that is not what I was told. What I heard was: "your helmet is three years old, you need to replace it." After which I was told to check out the "Universal Fit Helmets" and dismissed so the person who was "helping" me could chat with her friend. With all do respect, my helmet does not need replacing, it needs a part (which one hopes will cost less than $15) and someone who is willing to sell it to me. Since you are one of the few Trek dealers in town, and the one nearest me, I was hoping to be as well served as I was last time I had this problem. I was sorely disappointed.

No comments: