Sunday, April 23, 2006

Navel Gazing

Flagrant narcissist that I am I just Googled myself to see if anyone loves me as much as I do. Needless to say, I'm not Paris Hilton popular yet. I got about 1200 hits, but only a handful were about me. As usual most links were to this NASCAR photographer named Geoff Kinrade, and many more from god knows what. Interestingly, there were quite a few that seemed to relate to biking in some way. I know that the Isle of Man (where my last name comes from) hosts an annual motocross race of some reputation, but most of the links seem to be about Mountain Biking. Perhaps we Manx have a thing for cycles, motored or otherwise; that would certainly be in keeping with the three legs running (or are the peddling?) as featured on the Manx flag.

Anyway I found this letter at the link embedded in the title. Apparently some site put together by a Winnipegger with a bone to pick against urban sprawl. I didn't really read too much of it because I was too busy staring at my own reflection. Here's the letter (originally published Oct. 1, 2004):

Better bikeways
must be built

As a cyclist I disagree with the letter advocating bicycle riding on city sidewalks (Let cyclists ride on deserted sidewalks.)
Even in the absence of pedestrians, cycling on sidewalks is dangerous for both cyclists and motorists and should be avoided at all costs.
A typical cyclist on the sidewalk disregards the rules of traffic and freely crosses controlled intersections, back lanes, etc. often without slowing down. Furthermore cyclists face decreased visibility when riding on the sidewalks as drivers tend to concentrate on the road.
Increased safety for bike riders will be achieved more rapidly if cyclists arm themselves with proper gear (helmets, flashers, reflective clothing and a rear view mirror) and take to the streets.
More cyclists on the streets will raise the attention, and ire, of motorists, and eventually the reality will dawn on government that better bikeways must be built.

1 comment:

D.Macri said...

Hey, remember me? I have met you on several occaisions in the peg. I dig your blog (and your new look? -profile picture)! I also commented below on "The theory of enough".