Wednesday, January 17, 2007

My First Nigerian Scam

The Nigerian Scam is an infamous con that has been running around the Internet pretty much since day one. I'm actually surprised that it is still effective, because it's a bit of a pop culture phenomenon you'd think everyone would be onto. Nonetheless, I suppose it's always worth it for a criminal mastermind to throw out the bait. You never know what will come back. Here is the letter I received:

BANK OF AFRICA (BOA)
OUAGADOUGOU BURKINA-FASO,
WEST AFRICA.
BANK WEB SITE:www.bkofafrica.net

Dear friend,
I am Dr.Samailla Nuhu. the Director in charge of Auditing section Bank OF AFRICA(BOA Ouagadougou Burkina-Faso in West Africa. Forgive My indignation if this message comes to you as a
surprise.As it may interest you to know,I got your contacts through burkina online internet research.

I have decided to contact you on a project that will be very beneficial to both of us.During our auditing in this Bank,I came across some amount of money belonging to a deceased foreigner Mr.Sheu Yuan-dong who died with his wife and their only daughter on February16,1998 in a plane
crash.The fund has been dormant in his account with this Bank without any claim of the fund in our custody from his relation before my discovery to this development.

He was the Governor of Taiwan Central(Reserve)Bank.The said amount is U.S$25.600,000.00 dollars(twenty five Million, Six Hundred Thousand US Dollars).I want you to know that I never master minded the death of the deceased fellow.

Their death was occured Naturally.Please View thiswebsite: http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9802/16/taiwan.crash.update2/

For your information,your nationality will not pose any problem for the sucessful transafer of this fund
to you as bonafide next of kin.

I look forward to receive your urgent reply,more details will be given to you immediately you indicate
your willingness to assist me in this transaction.Urgent respond needed.

Yours truely,
Dr.Samuel Nuhu.


Obviously this is too good an opportunity to pass up. So I've created an email alias and sent a response. It reads:


Hello Dr. Nuhu,

I was very interested in the email you sent today, this is just the kind of opportunity I
have been waiting for. I am very excited at the possibility of making a lot of money! I
would prefer it if you send the information you promised to this email from now on since
my wife is very nosy about the email accounts she knows about.

Sincerely,
R. W. McWilliams

No comments: