Friday, January 05, 2007

The Missing Sign, Part II

Legalities prevent me from publishing the response of the bank manager at TD Osborne Village (to the letter posted in "The Missing Sign" below). I will summarize his letter by saying he was fairly sympathetic in his tone but inferred that these spots were meant for ATM use and over-night deposits. He mentions that the signs do say "appointments only." He was conciliatory enough to offer to pay for half the tow, but upon advice from The Disclaimer's un-official legal department I opted to send another letter politely, but firmly, requesting the towing fee be paid in full. It reads as follows:


Dear Mr. Young,

Thank you for taking the time to address my concerns. I appreciate your taking interest in this matter as well as your willingness to compensate me for my trouble. I do believe however, given the circumstances, that a full reimbursement for the towing would be in order.

As you mentioned, the five signs in your portion of the lot do indicate that the stalls are reserved for "appointments only," but logically speaking appointments within the bank can only be made during banking hours. The use of ATM's and night deposit boxes, while valid reasons in themselves for maintaining 24-hour parking spaces, are not generally understood, at least in my vocabulary, to be an appointment. Had the sign said "for appointments, ATM users and after-hours deposits" it would have spelled out the restriction more clearly.

I hope you do not take me to be disrespectful. I am simply pointing out that when I parked my car in one of your stalls your bank had been closed for several hours, and it was my assumption that all appointments would have been done for the day. (Just as other merchants who reserve customer parking in that lot do so only up until the end of the business day.) Perhaps the missing towing signs indicate "no parking anytime," but again sir, it is within the responsibilities of yourself and/or your leasers to maintain these signs. It is unfair that I should have to bear any cost for the negligence of your landlords.

I am hopeful that you will see my side of things and offer me (perhaps in conjunction with the owners of the lot from whom you lease the spaces) a complete refund, at least for the towing portion of my misadventure.

I thank you for your reconsideration of this matter.

Sincerely,

Ryan C. Kinrade

No comments: