Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I'm Spying on You

There's a little counter on this blog that tracks all my visitors and where they come from, who referred them and other statistics; even what browser they use. I am fascinated by it. Most people use Windows XP and come from Winnipeg, but I have had visitors from all over the world. Europe, South America, Asia (no Africans, Ausies or Oceanians that I can recall though). I have one semi-frequent visitor who lives in Kildonan, Manitoba and uses Windows '98. This strikes me as a little odd 'cause Kildonan is at best a neighborhood of Winnipeg, and has never, as far as I know been a separate city or town (as places like St. Boniface may claim to have been.) Furthermore isn't there three Kildonans, none of which are actually called Kildonan (i.e. East, West and Old)? How did you get your computer to say it is from the mythical city of Kildonan?

The other day someone from New York/New Jersey arrived at my blog after having Googled my name (the reference part tells you what they were Googling if Google was the referrer). I don't think I know anyone who lives in New York/New Jersey anymore--the one guy I knew, Lou from Staten Island, moved to Vancouver Island a year or so ago. Nonetheless this New Yorker spent a decent amount of time on my blog, and obviously knew me by name. Interesting! Was this person an old high school classmate? A regular reader of the Winnipeg Free Press Tab section? And what about the rest of my worldly and local visitors. Who the hell are you? Really the whole sitemeter thing leads to more questions than answers. There are only a few people who I can be fairly sure I am identifying. My grandparents check in from time to time, they dial in from Vancouver; my mom if she visits subscribes to a small ISP called pacificcoast.net, my friend Toby lives in Goshen, Indiana--I sure as hell don't know anyone else from there, and Dave Macri checks in from Korea regularily. I can usually recognize myself because I use Safari 1.3(the Mac browser). My buddy Mike Jack who works for the city of Winnipeg has a rare ISP, as does my friend Dr. Steve if he logs in from the HSC. Other than that it's a great big mystery. Anyways, now you know I'm spying; continue reading at your own risk.

3 comments:

D.Macri said...

Oh great dude, now you've given away my location. I'll have to find a new place to hide from my student loans, hehe.

Maybe the person from NY has the same name as you, and was checking out what your all about, to see if there is any similarities. I know I've done this to other Dave Macri's and since then had it done to me (which I only know about thanks tou your 'heads up' about site meter)!

Ryan K said...

Fear not Dave, you could be any one of a number of Dave Macris...

I never considered the possibility that there would be another Ryan Kinrade out there. I've Googled my name before, and I'm the only Ryan Kinrade that comes up. However when I signed up for Hotmail (back in '99) the name ryankinrade was already taken. So I suppose there must be some other guy out there who shares my handle. Now he's spying on me, that bastard. Next time I get to New York/New Jersey Ryan Kinrade better watch the fuck out!

Ryan K said...

Fear not Dave, you could be any one of a number of Dave Macris...

I never considered the possibility that there would be another Ryan Kinrade out there. I've Googled my name before, and I'm the only Ryan Kinrade that comes up. However when I signed up for Hotmail (back in '99) the name ryankinrade was already taken. So I suppose there must be some other guy out there who shares my handle. Now he's spying on me, that bastard. Next time I get to New York/New Jersey Ryan Kinrade better watch the fuck out!