Thursday, July 19, 2007

HTML lesson from a know-it-all

Hi Ren,

I know I told you how to make a link on blogger, but I'm a bit of a know-it-all, as you may recall, and I like to show off my nerdy prowess. As a consequence of my peculiar vanity I thought I'd take a second to explain a bit of HTML. When you know how to do it manually you can leave links in the comments section of ALFA and impress your friends in other important ways.**


  • First you use a triangluar bracket: "<" these brackets are always used in HTML to indicate that the text inside is a command, not an actual bit of text.
  • After the bracket you type an "a". The "a" stands for Anchor--not entirely sure why Anchor, but it helps to remember the "a" if you know what it stands for.
  • After that you leave a space and type "href" where "h" is short for "hypertext" and "ref" is short for "reference".
  • Then you put an "=," for equals.
  • After the "=" you must place a quotation mark otherwise the link will only refer to another page from the current web address no matter what you type as your link.
  • Then you enter your address.
  • Behind the address you place another quotation mark, and a closing triangle bracket ">" to close that portion of the command.
  • Then you type the text you want the viewer to see eg. "link".
  • After this you must end the command. You do this by putting another triangle bracket, then a forward slash "/" with an "a" meaning "stop anchor", then a closing bracket. After this all your text will be normal again.


It should look like this:

<a href="http://www.geostationarybananaovertexas.com">link</a>

The result is this: link

**Relevant, if useless, tidbit: I first gained entry into the inner sanctum of ALFA when I revealed this bit of web wisdom to Dave in a comment.


p.s. I have also blogged this email on the disclaimer.

No comments: