Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Right to be Stupid

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that the Sun ran my letter (in the previous post) on Friday, and even more surprised that their editoral comment on it was: "Solid Rebuttal." Sadly, I'm not surprised by this ignorant and bigoted response, as published in yesterday's Sun.



Riders totally without merit

Re: Police brutality feared (Ross Romaniuk, Aug. 25).

These "demonstrators" allege to be protesting in the name of environmental sustainability, but I'd be willing to wager very few, if any, even know what those words mean. No you're right, I was just talking out my ass when I wrote that, I have no idea what sustainability even is, I'm a grade 8 drop out like you. Now, they're going to have cameras to document incidents with police during their ride. I wonder if they'll also be documenting their own members purposely breaking Highway Traffic Act laws wherever and whenever possible? Turns out there was a total of one ticket handed out during the ride, in spite of the presence of half of Winnipeg's police force.

It's a matter of record that they've not only totally disregarded the law over and over again while obstructing traffic at the worst possible times but have also shown they have absolutely no regard for motorists' rights -- and in one case, no regard for human life (the ambulance incident). It may not be a matter of record, but stupid and ignorant motorists often block emergency vehicles for as long or longer than the cyclists allegedly did during the last Critical Mass. As for "motorist's rights" motorists own the streets every other hour of the month last time I checked. for an hour and a half on one Friday afternoon a month cyclists get to take ownership, I don't think it's too much to ask. These demonstrations are totally without merit, since any three-year old knows you save on gas and pollution by riding a bicycle. It's not the three year olds we worry about, it is their parents who drive solo everyday from suburbia to downtown and back. So what's the real reason for these bike rides? To cause trouble. Period. That's certainly a bigoted and uninformed opinion. There were a lot of professionals and people with kids at that rally. As a participant I saw no-one who had come to stir it up with the law. I and many other drivers certainly hope that the police and the courts will begin to take meaningful action against this group of lawbreakers and show them they are not a law unto themselves! I and many other cyclists hope the police will find something more meaningful to do with their resources than persecute people who are trying to raise public awareness of an important issue through a peaceful, and reasonable demonstration.

P. Zurawel

Winnipeg

(Editor's Comment: The message appears to be registering.)

No comments: