Monday, May 29, 2006

Letter to the Editor and Rebuttal

This is a letter published in today's Free Press and my response.

Divide up city sidewalks

I read and hear so much about cyclists complaining about motorists driving too close to them and trying to crowd them. I am a motorist and a former cyclist. I was taught to ride my bicycle on the road, not the sidewalk, as well as to ride single file.

One way of solving the sidewalk problem is by painting a yellow line down the centre of the sidewalk and identifying one side for walkers and the other side for cyclists. Then maybe we might have harmony and the bleeding hearts who ride bicycles can ride in their own lane. Maybe cyclists should have to carry insurance just like car drivers.

Sam Scaletta, Winnipeg

Divide up city roadways

Letter writer Sam Scaletta suggests a solution to the problem of bicycles on the street is to paint a stripe on the sidewalk and allow cyclists access (“Divide up city sidewalks,” May 29, 2006). This idea is absurd. First of all sidewalks aren’t wide enough for bikes and pedestrians to coexist as it is. Secondly, sidewalk riding is far more dangerous for cyclists than riding on the streets—a bike is less visible to motorists on sidewalks, and bad curbs can lead to disastrous wipe-outs.

I do agree though that cyclists deserve our own lane. Maybe we should paint a yellow line down the centre every curb side lane. That way when intolerant drivers approach cyclists a regulated buffer will protect us from their impatience and carelessness. A healthier, more harmonious traffic experience would be the result for bleeding heart cyclists and heartless motorists alike.

4 comments:

D.Macri said...

Lol! Here in Korea they have the yellow line on the sidewalk. I don't think any Winnipegger involved in this debate would be satisfied by the situation though. It is very common to see motorcyles and scooters on the sidewalks! I have even seen the occaisional car, driving down the sidewalk, taking up both pedestrian and cycle/scooter lanes.

Ryan K said...

Some sidewalks. More like sideroads--walker beware!

D. Sky Onosson said...

Dave - I also loved how they have crosswalks, but cars are not in any way expected to stop at them! Pedestrians, however, are expected to use them! At least that's how it was in my town...

J C said...

so I wonder...I had a gym teracher at john w. gunn jr high school names Scalleta, and if I'm not mistaken, his first name was Sam. It must be this guy. I'm surprised he calls cyclists "bleeding hearts". I wonder, as a former cyclist, if he is one of those bleeding hearts...

(he was a great ping pong player and a bowler)