Sunday, January 20, 2008

I don’t quite get how people can be so prudish about sex jokes, a lot of which children simply don’t get, but be completely okay with violent and scary films. Is violence okay because it is only fake, while sex is something that is somehow more possible, and therefore dangerous? To me I would rather my kid ask me about some crude sex jokes, to which my answer might be “When you’re old enough to understand what they are talking about I’ll be happy to discuss it with you.” Far worse to have them enjoying sociopathic slaughter in the name of shock value I’d say. Think about it, while the implication of the one is love and passion (even if it’s a bit crudely rendered), the implication of the other is hate and cold-blood (beautifully cinematic in how it splatters across the screen).

So what makes one so “inappropriate” and the other okay. It comes down to one’s particular bias. Last night my Uncle and I were watching “Blades of Glory” with his soon to be seven-year-old daughter. There was definitely some sex jokes there, but she wasn’t getting most of them, and I couldn’t see the harm. Her mom lets her watch horror movies and Family Guy (a show that makes some of the raunchiest references around), so I thought she’d be cool about it. But the sexual references made her very uncomfortable and she ended up insisting we turn the movie off and watching Zack & Cody, and Hannah Montana instead. Such is life.

No comments: